A little bit about books, a little bit about life.

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Children's Classic picture books

ooohh.... I think I'm old.
My favorite pictures books are....much older than the other posts I've read. I've kept up on Children's books tho, so I know all the books/illustrators that were mentioned, and enjoyed each of those books too.
but I LOVE..Love....LOVE the illustrations of Robert McCloskey. I don't know why. there is something so, simple but yet not in his illustrations. Maybe that simpler life. But they are so, so detailed. I think I like the illustrators that add those little, small, teeny detail that could pass you by... kind of Like Norman Rockwell, but he isn't a children's book illustrator. But the detail...like a gum wrapper on the floor. I love that kind of detail in a children's book. And I guess I love the older books better.

Blueberries for Sal


Make Way for Ducklings


My husbands favorite was "The Biggest Bear" by Lynn Ward.


I own all these books...so that I can share them with my grandchildren, (who are babies!! Babies... we are not really THAT OLD.)
When I was younger, working in a school library, (the last of my children had just entered elementary school ) I came across this book "Rain" by Peter Speir. I LOVE that book. It's a wordless picture book, about an rainy afternoon, and what the children do to pass the time. But the pictures were mirror images of MY LIFE! What my children did, what my children ate, what my children watched. It was "my life". And I love that book. The illustrations, down to the last minute detail are amazing. (sigh)


I could go on and on and on... even the Dr. Seuss illustrations are kind of cool. In a wacky kind of way. He had a lot of detail... wacky detail, but detail just the same.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

My girls fell in love with Blueberries for Sal this summer. :)

SmilingSally said...

I used to go the library and hunt for children's books on their sale table. So, I had a big lot of them for the grandchildren.

Unknown said...

My 3yo and I read Blueberries for Sal with our FIAR studies. We got a tin pail from the dollar bin at target and he had such fun making the "ping, ping, ping." Thanks for the review, and I don't think you are old at all. ;)

Omie said...

I'm not familiar with any of these books but will surely look out for them when I'm buying books for my baby.