A little bit about books, a little bit about life.

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Booking thru Thursdays












What are your favourite first sentences from books? Is there a book that you liked specially because of its first sentence? Or a book, perhaps that you didn’t like but still remember simply because of the first line?



I have a secret... I can't think of any!! Normally, I would rush to my bookshelf and pull out a couple of great books, and make like I knew these great beginning lines all along, but (second secret) I'm at work (no worries about getting caught, I'm the boss), and there is no bookshelf full of books waiting for me here.
Just off the top of my head, it would have to be the classic "It was a dark and stormy night..."

Hey...what can I say? This is all new to me...forgive me.
I'll catch on... I'm usually a fast learner.

3 comments:

SmilingSally said...

Nothing to forgive; I think that this is a tough assignment.

sadie607 said...

I like, "If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth."

From the Catcher in the Rye.

and "I am doomed to remember a boy with a wrecked voice-- not because if his voice, or because he was the smallest person I ever knew, or even because he was the instrument of my mother's death, but because he is the reason I believe in God: I am Christian because of Owen Meany.

-A Prayer for Owen Meany.

sadie607 said...

and that should say "of" Not "If" i wish blogger let you edit.