A little bit about books, a little bit about life.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Finding my Niche

My Thought for the day! and this is not about books!

There is just something odd about the Bare Naked Ladies sing God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen.

I was searching for something good to listen to on my Sirius radio and I came upon the Bare Naked Ladies singing... God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen. The odd part was just seeing their name in conjunction with a Christmas Carol.
I grew up with Andy Williams, Dean Martin and Perry Como, the old crooners, singing the carols .... it's just now, in more recent years, that I can listen to "country" singers sing carols.....I had to get used to that twang...some have it, don't deny it.
I mean.....country twang versus the Rat pack, smoking non-filtered camel cigarettes, drinking single malt scotch, telling lewd and bawdy on stage in Vegas Baby, singing about the birth of Christ?
How can there be any comparison!?
The Rat Packish people wore suits, so it's a given.
They sang better Christmas Carols.

I digress....again. Bare Naked Ladies singing "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen"

I actually liked it very much....the way they did it. What do you call that? Their......rendition? interpretation? arrangement?
It was really good, whatever you call it . A bit different, but the same.
And it's not even new. I googled the Barenaked Ladies holiday album and saw that it came out in 2004.
I'm not even "with it" when I think I'm with it.
Just a tad bit behind the times....

1 comment:

Alison Kerr said...

That niche thing is tricky. It gets me tied in knots too. I've changed my blog byline a couple of times already in just 4 months. Keep writing, keep musing on why you are blogging, keep connecting with other bloggers. As you read and are read maybe it will come to you. I'm pretty happy with my latest byline... at least for today!